Baba Muktananda was born in 1908 on the full moon night in the month of vaisakha, the second month in the traditional Indian lunar calendar, the panchanga. This time corresponds to late April and early May in the Western calendar. This year, Baba's Lunar Birthday falls on Saturday, May 18.
The waxing moon leading up to Baba's Lunar Birthday is a wonderful time to focus attention on the divine light within our hearts. As you do so a little bit each day, may your experience of the inner light grow and expand just like the moon grows and shines brighter every day, announcing Baba's Lunar Birthday.
Leading up to Baba’s Lunar Birthday, set some time aside each day to watch the moon as it passes over the area where you live.
You as well as your family and friends are invited to take photographs of the waxing moon, and to submit your favorite photos to the Siddha Yoga path website.
Baba's moon will begin to wax on Saturday, May 4. Beginning on Tuesday, May 7, selected photographs will be posted in a special Waxing Moon Gallery. In this way we can all take part in the journey of Baba's moon as it changes and grows on its way around the globe.
Information about Photographing the Full Moon
- The moon will begin to wax on Saturday, May 4, and will reach its fullness on Saturday, May 18, 2019.
- Research the time of the moonrise and moonset in your location.
- The rising moon will be visible a bit later than the exact time given for the moonrise.
- The moon will set a bit before the exact time given for the moonset.
- Mountains, hills, trees, or tall buildings on the horizon will affect when the moon is visible.
- If possible, include some of the surroundings in your photographs; for example, photograph the moon over water, trees, mountains, buildings, etc. This will give the viewer a sense of where the photograph was taken.
- To photograph the moon, the camera needs to be as still as possible.
- The best option is to use a tripod.
- You can also place the camera on a solid surface such as a rock.
- Another option is to hold the camera steady by placing your elbows on a solid surface.
How to Send Your Baba's Moon Photographs
to the Siddha Yoga Path Website
- After photographing the waxing moon, please send the images as soon as possible and no later than 5:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (USA) on Saturday, May 25, 2019.
- To submit your photos, please click on the link below.
- You are welcome to submit up to three photographs at a time.
- Use a JPEG file format no larger than 2 MB in size for each photo.