March 3, 2021
In 2021, the auspicious occasion of Mahashivaratri, the sacred night of Lord Shiva, takes place on Thursday, March 11. On this eve of the new moon, when only the most delicate sliver of moonlight remains in the night sky, it is said that the benefits of performing spiritual practices are multiplied a thousandfold.
In celebration of this glory-filled night, you, your family, and your friends are welcome to share your photographs capturing the crescent moon of Mahashivaratri. You may choose to photograph the moon with the surrounding landscape or cityscape in view, so that others can experience the unique vantage point of viewing the moon from your region of the world.
As a regular contributor to the photo galleries, I look forward to photographing the Mahashivaratri crescent moon each year. The scriptures of India describe the crescent moon as Lord Shiva’s ornament. My heart fills with wonder and devotion as I envision the Lord’s radiant form with this crescent of light adorning his dark tresses.
A collection of these photos will be displayed on the Siddha Yoga path website.
Information about Photographing the Moon
- Research the time of the appearance of the crescent moon in your location on Thursday, March 11, 2021.
- Check your locality for the best place to view and photograph the moon.
- If possible, include some of the surroundings in your photographs; for example, the moon over water, trees, mountains, or buildings. This will give the viewer a sense of where you are.
- To photograph the moon, the camera needs to be as still as possible.
- The best option is to use a tripod.
- You can also place the camera on a flat surface.
- Another option is to hold the camera steady by placing your elbows on a solid surface.
How to Submit Your Mahashivaratri Crescent Moon Photographs
- After photographing the moon, please send the images as soon as possible.
- You are welcome to submit up to three photographs with each submission.
- Please use a JPEG file format no larger than 2 MB for each photo.
- To submit your photos, click on the link below, which will become active on Thursday, March 11, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time (USA).
- The submission form will be available until Thursday, March 18, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (USA).